[Every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday]
- Domain des Aubineaux forest side – Curepipe
- Bois Cheri – Domain of Saint Aubin
Depart: 8.30 from Grand bay or Trou aux Biches, Flic en Flac
Return: Around 5 pm
Full Day tour (Price: 76 € in Family car – SUV 83 – Minivan 109 € for 10 persons)
The Tea Route is an excursion into three key stages: the Domain des Aubineaux, Bois chéri and the Domain Saint Aubin, allowing you to travel the south of Mauritius and to immerse yourself in local traditions and gastronomy.
The first stage of Tea Route starts at Forest Side, near Curepipe, in the central plateau of the island, where the Guimbeau family had settled since 1872. The Domain les Aubineaux is an exceptional colonial mansion, home to several generation of Guimbeau, which has been transformed into a museum at the demise of Mrs. Guimbeau in 1999.
This estate covering 746 square meters has a structure which shows how people lived then. The furniture made of teak, cannel wood or ebony is testimony to the variety of trees available at that time. The teak flooring has practically remained intact. Along the long corridor, usual for that period, family photographs are hanging on the wall depicting the customs and life at the time.
Prominently, you will find numerous camphor trees in the park planted to purity the place and to fight against the Malaria epidemic that was raging during that period. A stop, in the former billiard room converted into a salon de the, allows you to appreciate the serenity of the place and admire the variety of endemic plants and trees in the park.
Bois Cheri Factory
This visit gives a foretaste of what can be admired in the primary forest whilst going to the tea factory of Bois Cheri. On the way to the factor, you will take a road to the Chinese guava trees and you will pass by Grand Bassin, the sacred worship place of the Hindus.
The second stage: the tea factory of Bois Cheri. In the outskirt of the factory, tea plants are outlined and aligned to the millimeter to facilitate the picking of the leaves. The women with wicker baskets on their backs pick around 60kg of tea leaves per day.
The first plantations of bois Cheri date back to 1892 and today, it is the biggest producer of tea on the island. The tea leaves, once picked, are brought to the factory in sacks; then begin the long voyage that will prepare them for consumption.
An explanatory visit of the factory allows you to be familiar with all the production stages of tea. The packing is done by machines except for the finest tea that is hand- packed. The visit ends with a tour of the museum where the whole history of the tea is depicted through texts, paintings, ancient tea sets and packaging machines.
Today, Bois Cheri produces a whole new range of tea with different flavor: coconut, bergamot, exotic fruits, mint and vanilla that can be tested at the chalet. Here as well, hold on your breath: from the chalet, you will embrace the whole southern region of the island offered as a panorama: a rare sight, you can take home some of this light and delicious tea from the boutique.
The third stage: lunch at Saint Aubin
The last stage of this journey goes across small remote villages; the trip enables you to admire the landscape and the colors of the Indian Ocean with enchanted eyes. This itinerary leads you to the table d’hôtel of Saint Aubin.
After lunch, you can have a walk to digest your food across the botanical alleyway where pineapple is grown, a trip to the greenhouses to admire the different spices of anthurium and a visit to the Saint Aubin rum distillery where you can appreciate the taste of good, old, traditional rum.
Tipp’s: By this tour you have seen a quarter of the Island in a day, taste the freshness inland, learn a lot about plants, spices, tea cultivation, whilst moving from green to blue encompassing the whole southern coast of the island. This trip will enrich you.
The Mauritius Tea Route tour Includes
- The second visit is the St Aubin, a colonial house built in 1819.
- A guided visit of the Vanilla house, the rum distillery and the greenhouse with anthuriums intermingled with vanilla pods.
- Enjoys a lunch prepared from the products of the estate, in a Creole dining room atmosphere.
- To complete the expedition, watch the rum-making process and taste the agricultural rum in the distillery.
The trip lasts 5-7 hours
We highly recommend finishing your tour with a special luncheon of five typical Mauritian dishes in the highly recommended restaurant Le Saint Aubin.
The menu includes:
- Welcome cocktail and appetizers
- Palm heart salad and smoked marlin
- Chicken Creole style with saffron rice and chutney or vanilla chicken with rice and chutney
- Coconut foam or fruit sorbet
- Tea or coffee
Included in package this package:
- All entrance fees
- Lunch (optional)
- Transport to and from your hotel to the sight.
Our driver will picks you up in the morning from your hotel / place of accommodation anywhere in Mauritius (optional)
Additional information about the ” FULL DAY TEA ROUTE TOUR ”
- Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Type of vehicle
You can select from the following choice of vehicles:
- Family car – up to 4 people
- SUV car – 6 people maximum
- Minivan – 12 people max
About our chauffeurs
Our chauffeur are fluent in English and French (On special request, we can arrange a drive speaking another language). En route, the drivers, the island of Mauritius citizens voluntarily provide you with information on Mauritius.
Pricing for the full day tour Tea Route:
- Price per adult: 35 Euro
- Price per child (3-12 years): 19 Euro
- Price per baby (0-3 years): free
Menu lunch (optional)
- Price for lunch per person (5 course menu): 27 Euros.
- Private tour in a family car (maximum 3 people): 76 Euro
- Private tour in an SUV (6 people maximum): 83 Euro
- Private tour in a Minivan (maximum 10 persons): 109 Euro
- Rate shown is per vehicle relative to the permitted number of passengers and not per person.
- This tour is offered every day except Sunday
- The factory of Bois Cheri is only open Wednesday and Thursday
For a total price of the trip includes: private transport and entrance fees to all sites and lunch, please contact us.Inquiry